This is great for a summer gathering.
- 1 cup bulghur wheat
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped parsley
- 4 tablespoons chopped mint (or much more – even 1/2 cup or more)
- 3 medium tomatoes, finely chopped (roma is good)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (or more)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 pinch of fresh ground black pepper
- 1 romaine lettuce – leaves washed and separated
- 1 dozen pita breads
- Cover bulghur with plenty of cold water and leave for one hour.
- Drain bulghur and squeeze out any excess water.
- Spread on cheese cloth to dry further.
- Put swollen wheat into large bowl, gently stir in all the other ingredients except the romaine.
- Slice pita bread into wedges.
- Line bowl with romaine, pile on tabbouleh and garnish with lemon wedges.
- Serve with pita bread on the side.